Tuesday 17th June
The second day of the Final Assembly was focused on the discussion on challenges of Urban Development Strategies in the Mediterranean.
The objective was to present the differets actors working on urban development in the region, and the link between their activities and urban sustainable development strategies. Some of the issues that were discussed during the day, were the decentralization process, the main activities of governments on this issue, the processes of different cities towards the construction of a sharing vision of the city boosting its development, the role of municipalities and its capacity to create alliances.
Dialogue on urban development policies and strategic planning in the Mediterranean: international, governmental and municipal approaches
09.00 The vision of international organizations on urban development
Chair: Mr. Xavier Tiana, Responsible for International Relations of the Area Metropolitana de Barcelona
- Mrs. Candice Le Tourneur, World Bank/CMI. Urban Hub CMI: complementarities in the implementation of the SUDS and integration of international organizations.
- Mr. Federico Silva, Cities Alliance. Promoting multilevel partnership for urban sustainable development
- Mr. Josep Oliva, Diputació de Barcelona (Provincial Council). Supporting local strategies in the province and through decentralised cooperation
- Mr. Hamze Jammoul, Joint Management Authority ENPI-CBC Med Programme, ENPI CBC Med: future perspectives 2014 – 2020 related to urban development
10.15h Political Decentralization and urban development: the vision of governmental and inter-governmental organizations
Chair: Mr. Joan Parpal, General Secretary of MedCities
- Mr. Mokhtar Hammami, General Director of Local Administration of Tunisia
- Mr. Abdel Mughni Nofal, Director General, Municipal Development & Lending Fund (Palestinian Authority)
- Mr. Guy Fleuret, Senior Adviser, Secretariat the Union for the Mediterranean, Urban Development Strategy of the UfM and the UPFI.
11.30h Coffee Break
12.00h The city approach: Joint construction of the vision of the city
Chair: Mr. Farouk Tebbal, International expert on urban development.
- Mr. Sami Hochlaf, Council Member of Sousse
- Mr. Mustapha El Yassa, Deputy Mayor of Agadir
- Mr. Hector Santcovsky, Director of Strategic Planning of the Metropolitan Area of Barcelona
- Mr. Mohammad Al-Seoudi, Mayor of Saida
15.15h The creation of alliances for the implementation of the Strategy
Chair: Mr. Joan Campreciós, International Expert
- Mr. Mohamed Idaomar, Mayor of Tétouan
- Mr. Muzaffer Tunçağ, Council Member of Izmir Metropolitan Municipal
- Mr. Abdallah Abdul Wahab former Director of Al Fayhaa Development Strategy (Lebanon)
- Mr. Abdelhamid Mesbah, Deputy Mayor of Chefchaouen
Strategic planning in the Mediterranean: towards a new commitment for urban development strategies.
- Mr. Joan Parpal, General Secretary of Medcities
- Mr. Josep Oliva, Board Member of the Provincial Council of Barcelona
- Mr. Mabrouk Kossentini, Mayor of Sfax.